back to overview
AGW - Atelier Gurtner Wien, Vienna (Austria)
AGW is a private atelier, founded in 1978 by its owner Mag. art Christian Gurtner, and specialised in conservation and restoration of stone monuments and mosaics.
The firm is located in Vienna and mainly operating in the eastern part of Austria. In close co-operation with the Federal Office for The Care of Monuments (“Bundesdenkmalamt”) and with the University of Applied Arts in Vienna, AGW assumes tasks in conservation and restoration from governmental and clerical organisations as well as from those in the private sector. Closely related to these efforts is the assessment and prevention of damage of historical monuments which forms another crucial point of AGW’s work. In addition, the company is focussing on all aspects of elaborating concepts of intervention for architectural and sculptural objects, including façades from the middle age up to the early 20th century.
In the past few years, AGW was, amongst others, performing and completing restoration and conservation of the Byzantine Mosaic in the Great Palace of Constantinople. Further references of importance are: Schoenbrunn Imperial Palace, Carnuntum (Roman museum), Heiligenkreuz Convent, Vienna Cathedral, Austrian Hofburgtheater, several castles in Lower Austria, a 1900 façade by Plecnik in Vienna (in frame of a EU-Raphael project), Otto Wagner Church Steinhof, etc.
AGW participated as a partner in the EU-5th FP project ROCEM - Roman Cements to Restore Built Heritage Effectively.
At present, there are 4 full-time employees and 5 more collaborators on a free-lance base. All of them are academically trained persons.
AGW is equipped according to the most modern standards.
Short profile of the principal investigator of AGW in the project
Mag. Christian GURTNER
A - 1020 Wien
Tel. + Fax: +43(1)969 06 44
mobil: +43 699 1969 06 44
Mag. Christian M. Gurtner has received his master degree in restoration and conservation by the University of Applied Arts Vienna following his formation in wood and stone sculpturing. He is University lecturer at the University of Applied Arts Vienna and has supervised a master thesis on the use of Roman cement mortars for architectural heritage conservation. In course of the ROCEM-project, Mag. Gurtner has substantially contributed to study, application and promotion of the Roman cement technology in Austria and in surrounding countries.
Role in the Project
The principal role of AGW within ROCARE is to conduct application trials of the Roman cements produced by the project, both in laboratory and on trial sites (WP 2); further, AGW will perform on-site restoration works based on the Roman cement technology for demonstration purposes (WP 3), advise producers to meet the key demands of end-user application, organise the End-user Advisory Panel and co-organise national and international workshops.